Some people love the city life, while others prefer quieter communities and dark skies. But residents of Northern Virginia ask, “why not have both?” Located right next to Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia (or NoVA) is just as modern and impressive as its stately neighbor, but with a twist. Although the area has long since moved on from the past, Northern Virginia maintains its historic sites and heritage well.
Northern Virginia occupies over 1,300 square miles of total area, separated from Washington D.C. by the Potomac River. There are approximately 3.1 million Northern Virginians spread across this sprawling region, making it the most populous as well as the wealthiest part of the state. Five counties comprise Northern Virginia, namely Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William, Loudoun, and Stafford. Its largest city is the independent city of Alexandria.
- Northern Virginia used to be part of a much larger land grant issued by the then-exiled King Charles II of England. It later became a part of the lands under Thomas Fairfax, the 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. He is best known in history books at Lord Fairfax. At this time, the area was referred to as the “Northern Neck.”
- During the Civil War, Northern Virginia’s army served as the primary force of the Confederacy in the Eastern Theater. As such, the area saw many battles and skirmishes such as the Battle of Chantilly.
- Northern Virginia was a major player in the tech industry after the Cold War. In fact, this is where the Internet was first commercialized. At that time, Northern Virginia was known as the East’s Silicon Valley.
Northern Virginia Real Estate
Elegant mansions, rambling equestrian properties, historic residences, and high-end waterfront properties define Northern Virginia luxury real estate. There are no details spared when it comes to intricate details, craftsmanship, and even space, with some properties for offering acres upon acres of land. These are luxury homes fit for nobility.
Prominent communities in Northern Virginia
- historic architecture makes it look like it jumped out of a picture-perfect storybook. This queen of cities in Northern Virginia is located just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. and offers Colonial rowhouses from the 17th century, charming bungalows, dignified mansions behind wrought-iron and stone gates, and prime condos, all in beautiful waterfront neighborhoods.
- is as historic as its neighbors, but the community is also young and trendy. This spirit and energy is reflected on the real estate options in the area, which includes older, more traditional estates to stylish new developments such as luxury apartments and waterfront condos.
- was recognized by several publications as one of the best places to live in the country. There are prestigious schools in the community as well as an outstanding selection of residential real estate, from handsome Colonial estates and contemporary homes.
- was founded in 1910, making it one of Washington, D.C.’s very first suburbs. It’s just across the river, and the atmosphere is far more relaxed and more rural. As such, old farmhouses sitting in spacious plots of land are scattered in the community. They come in a variety of architectural styles such as mid-century modern, Colonial, and split-level. Luxury developments have also sprung up in the town’s commercial heart.
- is one of Northern Virginia’s independent cities, named after Lord Fairfax himself. Some of the best homes for sale in Northern Virginia are found here, including luxury townhouses, apartments, single-family homes, and condos in styles such as Cape Cod and Colonial Revival.
What is it like living in Northern Virginia?
Getting around Northern Virginia
The best schools in the Washington, D.C. metro area
Educational opportunities are topnotch in Northern Virginia. Both private and public institutions offer high-caliber instruction. This is why some of the such as the and Technology and , are located here.
Make Northern Virginia your home
As a stellar real estate team composed of the top real estate agents in Northern Virginia with expertise on architecture, interior design, and construction, Theo & Partners can help you make the most out of your opportunities in Northern Virginia real estate. . When you’re ready, .
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.