Fairfax is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia that is home to a population of approximately 24,000 residents. This highly desirable place to live is rich in history and culture, often regarded to boast a small-town charm that is hard to resist in the sprawling metropolis of the greater Washington, D.C. area. Fairfax is an outstanding location for homebuyers looking for luxurious million-dollar homes, but it also offers an abundance of beautiful single family homes, condos, townhouses, and more. With its convenient access to other major metros around Washington, D.C., Fairfax is a practical choice for professionals and entrepreneurs who work in the area.
Fairfax islocated in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As an independent city, it is considered separate from the similarly named Fairfax County, even though it functions as the county seat.
Fairfax maintains a small-town charm that both preserves and flaunts its rich history and culture. The city has a dense suburban vibe that makes residents feel right at home, whether they have owned a home here for years or have just moved in. No wonder Forbes once ranked this city as one of “.”
The city is also a practical choice among professionals working anywhere within the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area. It sits less than 20 miles west of the Nation’s Capital, less than 20 miles southwest of Bethesda, MD, and approximately 14 miles west of Arlington, VA.
Driving to and from Fairfax is easy, thanks to its convenient proximity to major highways like the Interstate 66, Interstate 95, Interstate 395, the Fairfax County Parkway (Virginia State Route 286), and the Capital Beltway (I-495). A portion of the Lee Highway (including parts of US 50 and US 29) cut across the northern portion of the city, while the State Route 236 bisects the southern portion.
Fairfax history dates back to the early 1700s when farmers hailing from eastern Virginia and Maryland settled in the area. In 1805, the place was known as the town of Providence and it was only in 1874 when it adopted the name Fairfax, similar to the county in which it belonged. Fairfax was incorporated as an independent city in 1961.
Homes for Sale in Fairfax, VA
The Fairfax housing stock presents a diverse and interesting range of property options that will fit into the needs, preferences, and price ranges of all types of homebuyers.
At the top of the list, there are stunning, multi-million-dollar, resort-style properties that rise in the middle of sprawling multi-acre lots. Decked in a variety of styles like the timeless Colonial and Craftsman designs, these luxury homes feature flowing living spaces with an average of 4-5 bedrooms.
For buyers looking for convenience and accessibility, the city also has a lot of condos, townhome, and apartment complexes located in bustling commercial centers and mixed-use developments.
This real estate market is highly desired for the excellent value for money that its homes offer. While Fairfax is proudly an affluent area, the price of real estate per square foot here is relatively more affordable compared to most Washington, D.C real estate property markets.
If you want to search for the perfect single-family house or condo unit in Fairfax, VA, reach out to the experts at Theo & Partners—an affiliate of TTR Sotheby’s International Realty.and today.
Life in Fairfax, VA
- Fairfax, VA is a highly sought after place to live because of the exceptional educational opportunities available for students at all levels. The Fairfax County Public Schools System operates the primary and secondary level schools serving the city, with Providence Elementary, Daniels Run Elementary, Lanier Middle, and Fairfax High School all located within city limits. This city is also home to the George Mason University, an esteemed public research university.
- The city of Fairfax is rich in history, offering lots of local attractions and destinations for you and your family to explore. Plan the perfect weekend getaway with visits to sites like Historic Blenheim, the Ratcliffe–Logan–Allison House, the Fairfax County Courthouse, and more.
- Fairfax is also a great place for people who enjoy immersing in the culture and the arts. Notable destinations for outstanding theatrical productions, musical concerts, and art exhibits include the George Mason University’s Center for the Arts and the Fairfax Art Gallery’s permanent exhibition space in the Old Town Hall.
- If you love spending time exploring the outdoors and communing with nature, a quick drive to Lake Burke Park will satisfy your craving for unforgettable fun under the sun. Even if you prefer to stay within city limits, you won’t be disappointed. A variety of family-friendly parks and open spaces with hiking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas can be found here.
- Looking for a place to shop? Fairfax, VA is home to renowned retail destinations such as the Fair Lakes Shopping Center, Fair Oaks Mall, and Fairfax Corner.
If you are looking for the perfect home in beautiful Fairfax, VA, contact the real estate experts at Theo & Partners.
Count on us to provide well-rounded, creative solutions for your real estate needs through our members’ extensive background in the fields of architecture, interior design, and construction. With strategies refined through our experience and our affiliation with the world-renowned Sotheby’s Realty International brand, we proudly add value to home sellers’ and buyers’ real estate transactions with no additional charge.
Contact Theo & Partners today by callingor by sending an email to . To see what clients are saying about our top-rated services, .
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.