Home to some of the United States’ most prominent government officials and high-profile personalities, McLean is one of the most prestigious communities in the country. This census-designated place has a thriving population of more than 50,000 residents who all enjoy gorgeous natural surroundings along the south bank of the Potomac River. It is also just 10 miles away from Washington, D.C. This CDP’s real estate market is made even more desirable by the lifestyle that the area offers. From outstanding schools to remarkable historic attractions, fascinating parks and open spaces, and high-end shopping experience, there is certainly a lot to love about this community.
McLean, VA is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Fairfax County. This affluent locale is home to a population of approximately 50,000 people, which includes high-profile individuals and their families.
Nestled along the banks of the Potomac River, McLean is less than 20 minutes away (roughly 10 miles) from Washington, D.C. Because of this convenient proximity to the Nation’s Capital, this location is a popular residential area among diplomats, high-ranking government officials, and professionals who work in the city.
McLean is located along the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area’s Capital Beltway (Interstate 495), making it easy for residents to drive in and out of the community, whether for work or leisure. The George Washington Memorial Parkway runs along most of the CDP’s northern portion, offering scenic views of the Potomac River, as well as various historic landmarks in the area.
This community was named after John Roll McLean, who was once owner and publisher of The Washington Post during the early 1900s. McLean, along with two partners, bought a railroad charter that connected the area to Washington, D.C. The areas of Lewinsville and Langley merged later around the community that formed around the rail line, leading to the official formation of the Langley community in 1910.
Homes for Sale in McLean, VA
A jaw-dropping selection of luxury homes await homebuyers who explore McLean, VA’s high-end housing stock.
In this market, buyers can find incredible palatial houses set upon lots that seem to stretch out toward the horizon. Magnificent living spaces in these homes can measure up to 17,000 to 20,000 square feet in several available homes, with a total of 5 to 8 bedrooms.
Property features can include the most lavish, resort-style amenities, from waterfront views to private swimming pools. And because this is a luxury market, the opportunities for personal customization are only limited by the buyer’s interests and preferences.
With sprawling, landscaped lawns, this community offers the perfect balance of peace and privacy—making it the ideal place to retreat to after a hard day of work in the Nation’s Capital. When you add McLean’s quick and easy access to Washington, D.C., and other major destinations in the surrounding area, you will see why this area is known for its high property values.
Start searching for your dream home in McLean, VA today. Browse our latest and best listings here, and book your schedule for a virtual house tour today.
Life in McLean, VA
- School-age children living in McLean are zoned to schools under the Fairfax County Public Schools system. These include primary schools Chesterbrook, Churchill Road, Franklin Sherman, Kent Gardens, and Spring Hill; middle schools Cooper and Longfellow; and high schools Langley and McLean. There are several private schools that McLean families can choose to enroll their children in, as well.
- McLean residents have excellent options for higher education near the community. These include the George Mason University in Fairfax, Marymount University and DeVry University in Arlington, and Georgetown University and George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
- Aside from the acre-sized lots featured on most high-end properties in this community, McLean also offers plenty of open space for residents to enjoy some outdoor relaxation. The community is home to nine parks that welcome hikers, picnickers, and more. One of the best known among these is the 800-acre Great Falls National Park.
- High-end shopping in McLean, VA can be found at Tysons Galleria and Tysons Corner Center. But this community is more than just high fashion and luxury brands. The McLean Farmers Market is also a popular destination when residents want to shop for the freshest local produce.
- The Robert Ames Alden Theatre is a local favorite when it comes to culture and entertainment. This 383-seat venue stages various performances from national and global musical, theatrical, and other performing arts productions.
- There is plenty of rich history just waiting to be discovered in McLean. Driving around the area can bring you to historic homes such as Hickory Hill, the former home of the Kennedy family.
Find the finest homes for you and your family in McLean, VA. Browse the latest and best listings in this market with Theo & Partners, the creative team of TTR Sotheby’s International Realty.
With our substantial knowledge and experience in the fields of architecture, interior design, and construction, our agents offer the most creative and strategic solutions for any and every real estate need. Work with us, and you will receive top-rated professional services with added value at no additional charge.
Start a conversation with our expert local agents today at 202.285.1177 or email tadamstein(at)ttsir(dotted)com. To see what real estate clients have said about our team’s impeccable brand of service, click here.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.